Tampico Mexico Mission

Monday, October 6, 2014

Culture Shock - October 6th, 2014

 
Wow this week has been full of new things that I never would have thought of before. I never thought Tampico would be like this! So Monday we got here and they fed us this amazing dinner called tacos al pastor. They tricked us, or at least me they did. We got a night pack and went to sleep at this house with many beds, wow, it was dirty! Let’s just say this place is totally a third world country. Ha we can’t drink water, so it makes it hard to brush your teeth, always have cold water, just the little things you would never think of! It reminds me a lot of Peru! I think it might be a little worse though! Ha I love the people though, they are so loving even though I have no idea what they are saying.
 
So after that one night we had the next day for training! It took all the way until 2, but then we went and had lunch again at the mission home and got our comps. So what president Jordan wants to happen is for my generation to be leaders at the 4 month mark! Kinda crazy because my Spanish is struggling and it’s so hard because they speak super-fast. So what they did to make this happen was split up the zone leaders, district leaders, got all the best missionaries and made them trainers for us. So all of us got super great comps. I got "Elder Amador" he’s from vera cruz Mexico and only knows a little English. It’s a little big hard to communicate with him but I try hard so we do. Even though I try, my Spanish is terrible. ha it’s getting better though because I have to speak to him 24 7 ha the second I wake up! Ha it’s crazy how bad I’ve just wanted a normal conversation in English! I love English. Ha so a little bit more on my comp... He holds the record in the mission for most baptisms. He’s super hard working so it’s great! Ha we already have 18 baptisms! Crazy right. Ha but that’s only if they go to church so hopefully they do.
 
So the area I’m in is called Victoria! Its 4 hours away from Tampico and I’m in outside of the city! So basically we have the poorest parts. Ha we tract on dirt roads, hills, we have it all. Being in this area has really humbled me and made me realize how blessed I am at home! We really do have it amazing in the U.S. let’s also say I’ve given a mission prayer, all because I’m white! Ha one family told me to say it in English! So I did willingly! Ha everyone stares also... ha so that means I have to be "normal" all of the time! 
 
So my house. We have our things, kitchen rooms not big, but no carpet or anything! Let’s just say I miss carpet. Ha we have bugs also! Today I killed a lizard... kinda awesome but nasty at the same time. Ha I get bit by mosquitoes so often... maybe because I’m white... ha just kidding! Ha but I’m getting use to them! Ha no warm water either! I miss it! So my showers are real fast! Ha so the heat! It’s like if you put Arizona mid-summer and Florida together! So hot!! I’ve never sweat this much ever!
 
So it’s been hard being here. Hardest thing I’ve ever done! As the week has gone on I’ve realized if I try to do it on my own... it will never happen. I have to rely on the lord. As I have done that. It’s been easier. I will have to do it for the rest of my mission also! The lord is so comforting though! Since it was general conference I watched it in English! I’ve I was so excited! It was amazing!! So many great talks! My favorite line was "become good at repenting" it’s so true!! Using the atonement is so important one of the most important things! Also decisions determine destiny!
 
Mom, so the food is pretty good here, real "authentic Mexican food" ha let’s just say it’s close to Puerto Vallarta... haha but it’s probably a little better here... well it just depends. Ha I ate this chili one time and I started to die because it was so hot... so I started speaking in English and that didn’t help so people started laughing!! Ha it was rough!! Ha 
 
I love it here even though it is so third worldish! I love the Lord! He is the head of our church and is guiding us to where we should go. Remember to remember him in all things! With success but as well in the hardest times and all the way in between! I love you guys so much and I am so grateful for your prayers!! I love you!
 
Love Elder Facer
 
P.S it tells me all my words are wrong... so I’m not sure which ones really are!
Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment